Thursday, April 15, 2010

Roadside Bodies On Highway

 
Its common to read stories of beheaded bodies, bullet riddled carcasses, and other brutal acts by narco hitmen.  Our small town is not immune to such brutally either.  Just over a month ago, I heard reports from various local sources, of bodies apparently hung from a large, metal horse trailer and other lifeless bodies lying on the side of a   highly commuted highway.  Individuals that witnessed this gruesome scene had been on their way to work early in the morning.  I doubt people were eager to report to local authorities what they had seen.

Narco henchmen use this tactic to intimidate Mexican citizens and frankly, its working.  Narco activity goes unreported most of the time by journalists, police and citizens due to potential retaliation from drug traffickers.  My guess is that those bodies belonged to other narcos who may have worked with the local drug cartel at one point or narcos from rival gangs.  Who knows.

Whats interesting is that I travel near there every time I visit this small border town.  I could have seen dead bodies next to the highway, too.  Would I have reported what I saw?  Absolutely not.  Especially knowing that local authorities frequently work with these violent groups to help them evade Mexican military and surprise checkpoints.  

No comments: